Feb 20, 2009

Survival Parenting vs. Intentional Parenting

A follow-up on my last post.
I went to bed last night thinking that I was solely a Survival Parent. I was discouraged!
Being a homeschooling mom with a toddler running around . . . being the wife of a firefighter/bishopric man (who isn't home much) . . . being a homemaker/housekeeper/chauffer/cook/counselor and all the rest that comes with being a MOM (I know you can understand) makes being a parent HARD. Parenting doesn't always bring out the best in me. I wish it did.
I went to sleep with thoughts of how I can improve my attitude and my thoughts towards my life at this time in my life. I went to bed feeling overwhelmed - not only am I in charge of a house (big task, anyway), but I am in charge of a HOME. I am in charge of my children . . . not just the day-to-day nose-wiping, diaper changing, meal-cooking stuff. I am in charge of their education, their emotional/physical/and spiritual well-being. Of course Greg is a big part of this as well, but as his attitude is so often on the "up" side, I figured I would focus on me that night. :)
During the course of this morning something happened that gave me a thought . . .
I am not ALWAYS a Survival Parent. There are times (often, there are times) when I am an INTENTIONAL PARENT. Yay! I was able to recall some recent times when parenting was a true joy. When homeschooling was running as smooth as it could be. Where the house was clean and we were working together as a family.
Why, then, was I so consumed with my thoughts last night of being (what I considered) a failure? I am sure Satan was working hard to discourage me. I KNOW he was - my SURVIVAL Parenting moments were simply magnified last night. lol.
I am grateful for the insight I received this morning.

I am reminded of some recent quotes that helped me along today.....
"Every cloud we see doesn't result in rain." Quentin L. Cook
"We each have moments of spiritual power, moments of inspiration and revelation. We must sink them deep into the chambers of our souls. As we do, we prepare our spiritual home storage for moments of personal difficulty" Neil L. Andersen
"This life is not always easy, nor was it meant to be; it is a time of testing and proving" Quentil L. Cook
"The sharp, side-by-side contrast of the sweet and the bitter is essential until the very end of this brief, mortal experience." Neal A. Maxwell

President Dieter F. Uchtdorf taught-to those who have ever felt discouraged or overwhelmed (all of us):
"What is our Heavenly Father's happiness?
Creating and being compassionate are two objectives that contribute to our Heavenly Father's perfect hapiness. Creating and being compassionate are two activities that we as His spirit children can and should emulate.
The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul.
Creation means to bringing into existence something that did not exist before - colorful gardens, harmonious homes, family memories, flowing laughter."

Yep, I am creating a home. I am creating a life for me and for my family. I am creating my own traditions. I can creating memories. I am creating ME as an Intentional Parent (exact plan to follow. ha ha!)

Trials are going to come - tomorrow may be "one of those days" - it is how I respond to those trials that determines what I am creating.

COME WHAT MAY AND LOVE IT - Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin
:)

1 comment:

Rachelle & Steve said...

Wow Jill I am so glad I decided to look at your blog today. You have such a talent at this & just so many inspiring words to give. Things I needed to hear for sure. Like the other day was a hard day maybe with little sleep the night before made my patience run thin..
My biggest wish in life is just living up to the kind of parent I know my kids deserve. Thanks so much!